Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Date #8: Myth of the Type

 So when someone asks you, “what is your type?” what do you say?  Do you describe his appearance first?  His wonderful sense of humor?  His relationship with his family?  This concept of being able to describe your perfect mate, not knowing if they actually exist or not, has always baffled me.  If only there was a database to type in what exactly you wanted down to the exact shoe size, life would be so much easier, right?  I went on a dating site a couple months ago to research this concept.  If I can type in every detail of a man I should get my perfect match.  The funny thing is that what you want in a guy isn’t always what you need in a guy.  As a technologically advanced generation, we seek quick fixes, instant gratification, and initial bliss.  I was one of these people until I met Andrew, a Persian Jew from Los Angeles.  I met him by finally giving in to my parent’s wishes and joining the Mecca of Jewish dating sites…Jdate.  Although as a struggling college student I can’t afford to pay for it so I can only view profiles and accept instant messages when I am online.  Well low and behold I got an IM invitation from Andrew and that is where it all started.  He was completely different from what I considered to be my type but somehow I felt like he was the kind of guy I needed in my life.  No drama, no emotional baggage, no stress.  He was very intelligent and sweet and although I didn’t have the initial feeling of I want to make out with you here and now, it was even better because I was so attracted to him and still felt like I was worthwhile enough to have him.  I am still not sure where we are going as far as a future but this is my advice to all of you.

If a guy or girl approaches you, don’t blow them off right away because you are not wildly attracted to them.  Looks eventually fade anyhow and as you get to know them they can become more attractive to you anyway.  If a guy is worth your time he will do anything to be with you and see you happy.  So for now I am not jumping to any conclusions but he is flying 2 hours to visit me for a couple days and I can’t wait!!


No comments:

Post a Comment