Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Date #9: Toy Soldier


This weekend I truly had an eye-opening experience.  I went out to the club with two of my roommates and four of my roommate’s friends, so it was a true girls night out.  Well we all started at the bar and got a drink, but after a couple I got bored and went to the dance floor to brave the sea of sweaty bodies alone.  I started dancing and turned my radar on to find the cutest guy there and walk right up to him in order to claim him as my life size Ken doll for the night.  I spotted this one guy who looked a little tipsy but sober enough to get a good dance out of.  Well after a few attempts of trying to dance with him and him being rhythm deficient and clearly more interested in the bromance with the guy next to him, I gave up.  At this point when a sexy moron rejects you all you can do is get it on with your bad self and dance like no one is watching.  I was shaking it like a saltshaker when I look to my right and see this guy who at first glace I would come to the conclusion that he was a badass.  He had a shaved head, strong jaw and sleeves of tattoos on his arms.  I figured I didn’t need to get rejected my another ass so I kept dancing alone until I saw him smile and all of the sudden he turned into this sweet little boy who just got a kiss from his first crush.  So I thought what the heck and started to dance with him, and dance with him and an hour later I was still dancing with him.  I probably would have danced with him longer but my roommate tapped my shoulder and informed me we were going to relocate for the rest of the night.  I told him reluctantly I had to leave and he said he would come with me.  The rest of the night he was holding my hand, kissing my cheek and proving me wrong every second of my initial judgment of him.  So he got my number and asked me to hang out the next evening! 

Before we continue there is a very important fact you need to know about him.  He is in a special force group of the army and this was his last weekend in Reno before he went back to his base in Tennessee.  

Anyway we hung out the next night and it was going amazing.  He was as sweet as ever and even ditched his buddies for me.  This is where I became aware of exactly what army wives, fiancés and girlfriends go through.  In the middle of the date he got a text and told me he had to take me home.  I learned later that he was called into a briefing and found out he had to leave in an hour on a mission.  I was in shock.  I mean I didn’t even get to say goodbye to him and had no clue when I would see him again.

So the lesson here is don’t assume someone is going to be a certain way based on their appearance.  I got the most amazing experience with a man I was about to write off because he had tattoos.  Give every guy a fair chance and it is okay if you don’t pursue someone because the attraction isn’t there, but if it is and you think they might be a douchebag, just talk to him and really figure it out.  You might be in for spicy surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment