Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Becoming a Serial Dater

How is the best way to get over an ex? This was the exact same question I asked myself laying in my bed alone 2 months after my boyfriend broke up with me.  Yes it has taken 2 months for me to even propose the question of moving on.  Trust me I am not proud of it but it isn’t something that happens overnight and after all it was a death so I had to go through the grieving process, right? No, I am wrong, I am just making excuses because I am still in love with my ex.  Shit, I sound absolutely pathetic, I need to embark on a new journey of getting my mind off of the handsome piece of man that keeps luring me back into his charming web of passion.  I need to date.  Not just one guy, but all guys.  It no longer can matter if they are hot or successful or wise beyond their years, any guy is fair game.  I promise you there is a method to my madness.  I haven’t been able to pick Mr. Right going according to my list of credentials or my past records, so by dating all over the map, I will end up running into Mr. Right without even knowing it…I hope. 

The Ex

The storybook romance, the click flick that every girl wishes they could have, the knight in shining armor and yet the devil in disguise.  I moved to Reno Nevada to go school and get as far away from home and constant reminders of high school drama, crappy friends and douche bag guys as I could.  So I get off the plane in Reno with my mother and my guitar in tow excited to have a whole new scene of hot available men at my fingertips.  Obviously with this being my first time away from home and in a new city I had the streets are paved with gold fantasy.  Anyway we get off of the plane and drive to the hotel in which we will be staying while getting acquainted with this small city before moving into my dorm.  I am from Pasadena, CA so anywhere smaller than a huge city is small town to me.  We finally pull up in the rental car which we got lost 2 times because enterprise GPS systems hate me and I get out of the car to help with the bags thanking the lord the journey was over, if only I knew that when the valet guy turned around a whole new journey would begin.  Meet Jason, a 35-year-old valet from Reno who was the opposite of my type and yet he was the most intriguing individual I have ever laid eyes on.  He had the valet uniform on, a baseball cap and the most adorable dimples I had ever seen (except for Mario Lopez but that is a whole different story).  We casually chatted as he helped me with my bags and then he disappeared into the sea of cars like a rare unicorn in Narnia.  I just want it to be known that I was 20 and had no clue how old he was at this point…so stop judging me!

The Ex-ecution

The next morning the plan to get all the stuff to make my half of my dorm room as chic as possible is set into motion.  My mom and I get downstairs at about 9:30am looking quite fabulous and all of the sudden a valet guy, clearly not Jason, approaches us, takes out ticket and starts running to get our car.  A couple minutes later our car emerges and so does Jason.  I didn’t realize the valet service became a team effort but I was willing to go with it.  Jason walks up to me with a clear agenda sticks out his hand and says, “I don’t want you to think I am being to forward which is why I am doing this in front of your mom, but here is my number in case you need anything.” Then he slips this bright yellow luggage tag in my hand with his name and a phone number.  I smiled said I would hold onto it and chucked it in my purse clearly not caring if it got lost.  Heck, even as adorable as he seemed to be I was in a new city and single and really to goddamn mingle.  So I went on with my day until fate stuck its nose into my business. 

The Fate Monster

So we went on our way to continue our adventure of buying cute yet sensible items for my dorm at Target.  I swear the Target was on the run from the cops because it was the hardest thing to find and once again with the GPS hatred of college girls we were on our own.  So we finally made it there and realized we had no clue where we were or how to get back.  All of the sudden my mother had a brilliant plan of using the number I had in my purse and tried to avoid.  So I called and waited for the last ring when he finally picked up.  I got directions from him and then my mother had another brilliant plan to invite him to dinner to thank him for his assistance.  He obviously accepted and this is where the roller coaster begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment